Thursday, May 1, 2008

Lattice Smocked Sleeves

May 1, 2008


So, after seeing a photo somewhere of someone (I want to say it was on Lynn McMaster's site, though I can't seem to find it again) wearing lattice smocked sleeves with their gown, I decided that I wanted a pair of my own. I have many, many yards of black satin that I bought years ago for making a Victorian gown, a project that never got off the ground. It was actually the perfect fabric for the sleeves - it's lightweight satin, breathable, and it's springy.

I spent an entire day mapping out the grid on the fabric. I started out by measuring out square inches and putting dots on the corners. This is tedious and mindnumbingly borning. A quicker way is to lay down some plastic canvas over the fabric and use that to map out the grid. Your grid won't end up sloping or leaning, and your dots will be evenly spaced.

I've been smocking for two days, and only now feel like I'm actually making any progress. I'm a little over halfway done with the first sleeve, and it'll probably be another two days before the first sleeve is done. I'm hoping that I'll have enough umph to finish tomorrow, but I'm so tired of smocking that I'll probably lay it aside and work on another project for a day or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment