Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A bit of a list...

So, after looking through the list of upcoming events the DFW Costumer's Guild is planning, I now have a whole new wishlist of new clothes.

First up is the Scarborough Faire Meet & Greet. I had originally planned to wear the new blue gown to the opening of Scarby, but I seriously doubt that it's going to be done in time, considering that one sleeve is still in pieces and there's no...you know...skirt. :p I'm either going to try and finish the embroidery on the skirt of the green gown, or I'm just going to use my old standby of the Buttercream gown. We'll see how time goes.

Next on the list is the Frontier Days Festival in the Fort Worth Stockyards, during which they are holding a meetup in Victorian clothing, along with a ride on the famous Tarantula steam train. And I wanna wear this!
Isn't it scrumptious? I come across this fashion plate at least once a year, and I end up falling in love with it all over again. It's black, it's ruffly, it's dramatic, and it's bustle era! What more could former goth turned historical costumer want?
The event isn't until May, so there's time yet, and most of my commissions will be wrapped up by then, so I'll actually have a bit of time to devote to this frilly monster. I'm excited about it. It's been a while since I've worn bustle era anything, and it's a bit of a return to what got me into historical costuming in the first place.
Makes me think...I still need to add pictures of my green taffeta ballgown...

Anyway, there's an Ice Cream Social in the summer that has a '20s to '50s theme, so yet another good excuse to make a new dress. I'm leaning '50s on this one, but other than that, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm going to make.

Then, one of the more exciting events - an English Country Dance in Regency garb! SO EXCITED. You have no idea.
It turns out that there's a folk dance group here in the area who, once a month, has a class on English Country Dancing. The DFWCG folks have managed to get an event together with them, and in August the class is going to be a costumed event! I can't wait! I've been dying to find a historical dance class or group in this area, and finally there's something! Have I mentioned that I can't wait?

To end the year, there's the Georgian picnic in November. I've been telling myself for the past two years that I was going to go, and always something has come up that has made me have to change my plans. Well, not this year! I'm definitely planning on going, if I have to rearrange every last other thing I'm doing! Not sure yet what I'm going to wear, though. I have the red contouche that I'm working on, but I think it may be a bit formal for a picnic. I definitely want to wear something that's over panniers and not something from the later, turn of the century period. It may be time to dig through some paintings again and give Janet Arnold another look. Oh noes! ^_~

Great thing about these events is that none of them interfere with the conventions I planned on attending this year, so everything should work out fairly well. Granted, I'll probably have a black hole in my wallet because it's collapsed in on itself after Vegas, so there may not be allot of new costuming happening in the fall and winter months. Guess that means I'll have to do all my sewing early, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr