The Blue Elizabethan - Nearly there!

April 08, 2011

Whew, has it been a long night! I've been sewing and beading one tab after another, trying to get this blue Italian inspired gown finished in time for the opening of Scarborough Faire on Saturday. Okay, not exactly finished, but wearable, at the very least.
So, what did I do today? Well, I added 20 tabs to the bodice, on the sleeves and waistline. I assembled the entire sleeve and sewed it onto the bodice. I added a line of trim to either side of the skirt opening. Oh, and I added about 1,000 more pearls to the bodice and skirt. Hehe. It's a good thing I stocked up on beads a while ago, I'm going through them like nobody's business! I can't remember the last bead count when I set aside the project, but I do remember it was over 5,000. So, I'm just going to call this dress the Gown of 10,000 Pearls, because I know I'll reach, if not exceed, that number before everything is said and done.
Anyway, tomorrow I finish up the bodice tabs, and I try to make the lattice smocked gold stomacher in time for the faire. I also need to add the waistband, which will take a little bit of time because I decided to cartridge pleat the skirt. Eventually, I want to add lines of beading at the skirt opening that matches the beading on the sleeve panels, but I know there's no way I could finish that by Saturday. C'est la vie! It'll be done in time for Middlefaire, which is good since I'm sort of unofficially on cast down there.
This is also my first time nearly hand sewing everything. I started this project while my sewing machine was out of commission, so I dove in with the hand sewing, and now it just seems blasphemous to use the machine to finish it. I think I have enough time, though, so it should be wearable! More progress tomorrow!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook