Whew! Another costume finished! My friend, Ian, met Stefan at a convention in Vancouver (Ian came from Australia, Stefan came from Sweden!), and directed Stefan my way for a First Contact uniform. Stefan wanted the version of the uniform with a work jacket over a shirt and trousers as opposed to a jumpsuit, and he wanted it in the colour for the science division.
I started out with a "vintage" (cough80scough) varsity jacket pattern, since it had the yoke and back pleats that I was looking for. I cut it all out, and it turned out to be HUGE, so I had to modify everything to within an inch of its life to make it fit properly.
The shirt/tunic and the trousers are pretty straightforward. The trousers have an elastic waist for ease of wearing, and the tunic closes up the front with a zipper. This was the first time I've ever added wefting to a zipper closing, but it turned out to be no big deal, and I like the end look.