Friday, January 20, 2012

The Silurian Sculpt, a new Cardassian, and a Bit of Bling

I have actually managed to be productive, even with the start of school!  First off, I've started a new Cardassian look, which I intend to wear to Sci-Fi Expo in a few weeks. Below, you can see the sketch I did of the design. I based it off of a couple of different designs from the DS9 episode, "Destiny". And, I realized afterward, that it looks like it's a dress worn with Hammer pants...no, no it is not. Those are supposed to be tails. :p


I've started on the bodice, which you can see pinned together below. I decided to go with warm colours, autumnal reds and browns. You don't really see Cardassians in red too often, but I love earth tones and think they go well with the grayish skin.


Besides the new Cardassian look, I've also been working on a bit of jewelry.  I made a simple Bajoran earring for a client, with red accents. He requested it be a clip on, since it's for his young daughter.


And! I have finally finished the Silurian sculpt!




I picked up a 100 pound bag of UltraCal-30 from a local distributor, and soon this sculpt will be cast and on its way to being a bona fide prosthetic! I'm quite happy with how it turned out, let's just hope I don't manage to do something stupid and screw it up during the casting!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your Silurian finished!

    I always wanted a Bajoran earring just to wear around in the everyday, but never thought to make one (even when I was into beading and the like...) There's something appealing about the aesthetic.

    And your Cardassian pieces are always so spot-on with the style and beautifully executed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am also trying to make a Silurian cowl, but I'm still unsure about how to go on from the sculpting stage, can you give me tips/make a small tutorial on how to make an prosthetic as big as that??
    And do you know what kind of latex I should use for this? :)

    Greetings from a fellow costumer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I just dove in and started sculpting. It took a good seven pounds of clay or so. Arm yourself with as many screenshots as you can to work off of, and take your time.

      I am simply using regular liquid latex. I believe the show used either liquid latex or silicone to create their cowls. I know the facial prosthetics themselves were silicone. ^^

      Best of luck! I'd love to see your work when you're done! :D

      Delete

Flickr