Friday, August 17, 2012

TrekCon 2012

It has been forever since I updated this blog, and I have a very good reason! I hit the costume crunch time that inevitably happens before the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas every year. So, I didn't have much time to update with in-progress shots and so forth.

But, everything was totally worth it, because TrekCon was wonderful, as usual. I arrived in Vegas on Wednesday, where I was greeted at the airport by a few of my friends. Last TrekCon, they gave me the nickname "Spoonie" since I was dressed as a Cardassian the entire time. When I came down the escalator in the airport, I see them greeting me like this:


It was the perfect start to a great week of shenanigans.

We didn't end up checking into the hotel until very late on Wednesday, and that entire day is a blur. Thursday was spent catching up with friends and checking out the dealer's room and some of the actor panels.


In the dealer's room, and the Roddenberry booth, they had set up a replica of the Captain's Chair from TOS to promote the Trek Nation documentary, which, of course, had become a photo hub. I was dressed as a Denobulan on Thursday, so I had to get my pic in the chair.


Thursday night was karaoke night, which was amazingly epic. My friend, Eric, who was dressed as Data, got up and danced along as someone was singing "Mr. Roboto", and later got up and sang "Loveshack". Another highlight was my friend, Darnell, getting up on stage and singing "Sweet Transvestite" from Rocky Horror.



We ended the night at the Masquerade bar, laughing, chatting, and drinking hurricanes.

Friday was also spent running around between events. I donned my Cardassian makeup, trying a more grey skintone this time. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, but it did wash out rather badly in flash photography, so I'm going to have to play with it a bit to make it work better in the future. Also, I couldn't get the makeup on my hands to set, so I had to have one of my Bajorans do everything for me, from helping me wriggle into my pantyhose, to putting on my boots. You know, the regular duties for a Bajoran. ;)


Of course, I had to get pics in the captain's chair again. With the Bajoran at my feet. ;)

 
The one actor panel I was able to catch was the Shakespeare panel with Casey Biggs (Damar), Jeff Combs (Weyoun), and Armin Shimmerman (Quark). We were rolling in the aisles when Biggs and Combs did the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet, with Combs playing Juliet. 

The highlight of Friday was having my picture taken with Andrew Robinson, who played Garak on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I was one of the first people in the room for a pic, and when he turned and saw me he gave me a huge grin and said, "Mama!" before pulling me in for a big hug. I had planned to tell him that I was a seamstress training to work for the government, but the moment he did that my brain shut off and went into OMGSQUEEFANGIRL mode.

 
At the end of the day, I stripped off the makeup and changed into some civilian clothing for the Captain's Chair party in the Voodoo Lounge, which is at the very top of the Masquerade tower, some 20+ stories up. It was a lot of fun being able to see Vegas from the top of the city, watching dozens of helicopters come and go and the hustle and bustle of The Strip below us.
They fed us some amazing food at the party, and some of the actors sang and entertained us. They offered us free Trek-themed drinks, and the Romulan Ale, some concoction of gin and blue caraco and other things, was absolutely delicious.

After the Voodoo Lounge, there was a Trek party happening in the Crown nightclub that's within the Rio. There was a huge turnout of Trekkies, and we danced long into the night before finally retiring to our rooms to sleep off the Romulan Ale.

Saturday, as always, was the busiest day of the convention. Everyone had brought out their biggest and best costumes. One of the first events of the day was the World Record Attempt for most Star Trek costumes in one place. We were attempting to break our own record from the year before to make sure it stayed with the Vegas Trek convention. Unfortunately, we weren't able to muster the 1100 people needed to break our own record, but we were all pretty satisfied that if we couldn't break our own record, no one else could either!


The actor panels I really wanted to see were all on Saturday, mainly the reunion of the TNG cast (sans Sir Patrick, since he's in London for the Olympics), and the Voyager cast reunion, both of which were wonderful.

I was lucky enough to be part of a group of 30 ticket holders that had a special meet-n-greet with JG Hertzler (Martok) and Robert O'Reilley (Gowron), which was really a lot of fun. We got a chance to chat one on one with the actors in an informal setting, so it felt really relaxed and fun.


After the meet-n-greet, we rushed over to the Costume Contest to cheer for our friends and watch the contestants in the pre-judging.


Saturday night ended with my friends and I going to the Minus 5/Ice Bar at the Monte Carlo and walking through the garden at the Bellagio, which was lovely.

Sunday, which is usually a day for winding down at most cons, was still as high energy as the other days. The main panel for the day was of the 4 Captains, which was a lot of fun to watch. Every time I see Kate Mulgrew, I love her a little more than I did before, she's really a wonderful woman. The day ended in an after party in one of the suites, which was absolutely amazing, and a ton of fun.

I spent a few extra days in Vegas just to see some of the sights before coming home. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't finish all the costumes I had planned for myself, but I'm going to remedy that for next year, and have everything done in time!

I'll have pages up soon for the commissions I had for the Con, as well as my few costumes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr