1911 Underbust Corset

April 18, 2014

Sooo...I'm a little late to the sew-along. Like...2 years late. But, I still used the same pattern, so it counts, right?!

I'm talking, of course, about the 1911 Corset Sew-Along that Bridges on the Body hosted for Titanic's 100th anniversary. I didn't make anything for the original sew-along (I actually didn't know about it until about a year later...eep!), but when I was looking to build my Teens-era wardrobe, this seemed like a good piece of essential underwear to make.

Everything you'll need to know to make your own 1911 corset is on the Original Page for the challenge. I used the pattern that BotB created from her extant corset, not the Corsets and Crinolines pattern that was also an option for the sew-along. (Though, now I'm considering making that pattern, too, just to see how it compares.)

Cleaning up my sewing room, I came across some blue damask that I had bought years ago in the LA Garment District. I've used and reused the fabric several times now - first for the blue contouche, then cannibalizing that dress and making the Gown of 10,000 pearls, and now using some leftovers for the 1911. This fabric surely gets around! I decided that the corset needed to have coral accents, and though the ribbon is a bit more orange than I intended, I still like the contrast. It's a bit more daring than corsets from the period would have been, but I was feeling spunky when I made it! XD

Again, I was a bad blogger and didn't take many in-progress photos, and the ones I did take were not much different from the finished product, so they aren't even worth posting. These corsets just go together so quickly and easily that there isn't much point to taking pics!


This one went together really quickly and easily, just like the 1910 overbust I was working on at the same time. It's lined in cotton, and the boning is sandwiched between the two layers. It comes down over the hips a bit farther than the overbust corset does, but it's all soft, non-boned material, so it's still comfortable to wear. I need to add some flossing to keep the bones in place, because I didn't add any stitching to keep them from slipping down the channels. ^^; I also want to eventually add the garters, since I've read on other blogs that the garters help to keep the bottom edge smooth, but it's not a priority at the moment.


I was a little worried about how much support I'd get out of an underbust, but this corset definitely lifts the girls! The bust is much higher than I expected, which isn't a bad thing, I had just always been under the impression that the bust was worn much lower than modern fashion. But, I tried a modern shirt on over the corset, and it gave great smoothing, and the bust didn't look funky, so I'm happy. I'll definitely be making more corsets from this pattern in the future, though right now, I really want to try the C&C pattern next!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook