Sunday, June 22, 2014

A quickie Teens dress

Sometime this past week, I decided that I needed a new Teens dress to wear to the upcoming Samurai Matsuri that the Kimbell Art Museum was holding on the 22nd. I knew it was going to be hot, and I'd probably look out of place, but dammit, I wanted to wear something pretty! Of course, being a certified Broke Seamstress, I had to go with what was available in my Stash, and not purchase any new fabric. So, I dug around and found an ice blue satin and a black embroidered net, with little blue flowers in the same blue!


I didn't want anything too complicated, so I went with an empire waistline, a split overskirt, and a draped bodice. When I took the black net fabric off the bolt, I discovered I had maybe two yards, so I had to be frugal with it. It forced me to make the dress sleeveless, which isn't what I had hoped for, but there was no way around it. So, I built the blue structured bodice and skirt first, then draped the net over it as best I could.


Za! It all worked out! After this, I had only scrappy bits left, so definitely no sleeves. But, that was easily remedied by wearing a black chiffon blouse underneath the dress, so I still managed to get the coverage I wanted. All in all, I was very happy with my little afternoon dress, and since the dress itself is sleeveless, it can be worn for an evening out, as well. ^^

I wore this with my blue underbust corset, and I'm happy to say that I was very comfortable in it all day long. Teens-era underbusts are definitely the way to go! I am eager to try some more corset patterns from the era, they're so much fun to whip up, and besides, ladies of the day had several corsets in their wardrobe, why shouldn't I? ;)

Here's the dress in action! Also, me looking peaked, standing with a samurai. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr