Friday, July 10, 2015

A Dress for Dracula

This October, Texas Ballet Theatre is going to perform Ben Stevenson's ballet Dracula. I've heard that it's a fantastic show, and I already have quite a few friends that are intending to go in costume, so I'm joining in on the shenanigans! I didn't want to do the obvious thing and go in a dress from the Coppola film, but I still want something vampire related and something bustle to fit in with the others, so I'm turning to one of my favourite costume + vampire films - Interview with the Vampire. (If you haven't seen it, and you like good vampire films and great costuming, GO WATCH IT NOW. You need to see it. Also, ignore the abomination that is the sequel.)

Years ago (seriously...like 15 years ago), I made that stunning green taffeta ballgown that Madeleine wears for the 30 seconds she's on screen before (spoilers) getting fried. I've always loved that gown, but seeing as I made it when I was a teenager, it does not, in any way, shape, or form, still fit me.

Then there's the fabulous, iconic blue satin dress that Claudia wears just before (spoilers) she also gets fried.

Here they are in all their jewel-toned glory.


I really love the green gown, and I happened to look fabulous in green, but I also look great in blue (I am a blonde, after all), and I've wanted to make that dress for a long time. So, which do I choose?

1 comment:

  1. Blue if you can do ringlets in your hair, green if you can't. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr