Saturday, February 27, 2016
A Teal & Black Bustle
You may remember some long ago posts about a teal contouche that I was trying to rescue from the naughty corner. I never hung correctly, the fabric was a pain, and it was an impossible color to match. I tried making a new petticoat to go with it, but I hated it so much I never wore it. So, in the naughty corner it stayed.
Then I finally decided that it just didn't want to be an 18thC dress, no matter what I told it. So, with Costume College on the menu for last year, I decided to do something Steampunk with it. I managed to find a teal and black striped taffeta at one of Dallas's fabric warehouses, so that became the underskirt. Then, I ran out of time for CoCo, and the dress went back into the naughty corner.
Because I'm an idiot.
I had a sleepless week trying to finish this dress, and I almost made it. There are some definite things that need to be repaired on the bodice, and there are a few tweaks to the overskirt that need to be made. There is absolutely no closure. I intended to make a placket at the front, but I ran out of time and in my hurry completely forgot my own plan. I had to sew myself into the bodice the day of the event. Yeesh.
I want to go back and properly finish off the sleeves and add a little bit of length to them, make a better front panel by adding buttons or frogs to close it, and I want to add some sort of trim so there's not such a sharp line between the striped from panel and the rest of the bodice. The back of the bodice needs some fitting, too. But, the dress was wearable and I felt pretty cool while wearing it, so it's still a win!
Thanks to Jen at Festive Attyre for all the great pics!